AMANDA L. LABELLE, BA, MA
- A publishing professional with over 6 years of applicable experience.
- Possesses a strong background in journalism and technical writing, with an emphasis on online content and Web Content Management (WordPress and Kentico)
- 10+ years of Sales and Customer Service experience
- Experience with Marketing and PR as well as charitable fundraising/non-for-profit work
- Possesses extensive experience with Social Media Management as well as blog writing: familiar with Google+, Google Blogger, and Google Analytics and all conventional Social Media platforms
- Possesses strong research, writing, editing, and communication skills, and is highly detail oriented and organized.
- Excels at multi-tasking and is able to work in a demanding and fast-paced environment, to meet deadlines, and works efficiently as part of a team as well as independently.
- Expert proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Trainable and eager to learn new things
Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, CAN, 2012
MA, English (graduated with distinction)
York University, Toronto, ON, CAN, 2011
BA, Hons. English (graduated summa cum laude)
- Diploma, Creative Writing for Children and Teens, The Institute of Children’s Literature, Redding, CT, USA, 2007
- Publishing course: Editing Trade Fiction, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON, CAN, 2014
- Google Analytics course, Linda.com, 2014
- SEO Fundamentals Course, Lynda.com, 2015
RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Fusia Magazine, Toronto, ON, Jun 2014 – Present
Editorial Assistant and Lifestyle & Travel Writer
- Responsible for assisting online editors and Editor & Chief with all clerical tasks
- Responsible for Marketing, PR, and brand development and assisting with event planning
- Responsible for increasing online presence and web traffic and performing Website Content Management (WordPress CMS) and Social Media Management
- Write articles for publication and edit articles submit for publication
- Covered Toronto World MasterCard Fashion Week 2014, Reel Asian Film Festival 2014, and Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Berlin 2015.
Freelance Writer, Toronto, ON, Sep 2012 – Present
- Contract Writer for content for websites
- Consultant and Technical Writer for Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SRED) grant proposals.
- Articles for several magazines
Everest Management Network Inc., Toronto, ON, Jan 2014 – Dec 2014
Administrative Assistant and In-house Writer
- Social Media Management (increasing web presence and traffic flow: increased Facebook traffic by just over 30%, increased LinkedIn traffic by almost 25%, and generated entirely new web traffic through the creation of a company blog and recorded analytics)
- Website Content Management (Kentico CMS), including setting the website up on google analytics and tracking traffic data, and managed the Company Database.
- Blog Content Management (I created and maintain the company blog) and Research.
- All administrative/cleric office tasks (answering phones, faxing/photocopying/scanning/printing, technical assistance)
- Writing reference letters, candidate profiles, external job descriptions and editing/formatting resumes
- Performing searches for suitable candidates and for new client targets
- Was the 2014 Dress for the Cause coordinator for our office
Fashion Weekly Magazine, Toronto, ON, May 2013 – Nov 2013
- Fashion, beauty, lifestyle journalism also including entertainment, food, and culture.
- Responsible for producing multiple articles monthly.
- Covered Toronto World MasterCard Fashion Week 2013
Tiara Entertainment and Simply Green Unique Events Inc., Toronto, ON, May 2013 – Aug 2013
Marketing/PR Intern and Media Liaison
- Maintained all media and celebrity communication and edited all written material and internal/external communications
- Wrote content for all marketing and promotional material for Eco Chic Fashion Show event.
- Social Media Content Management
Anne McDermid & Associates Literary Agency, Toronto, ON, Apr 2011 – Aug 2011
- Social Media Content Management and Website Content Management
- Performed all clerical office tasks – answering phones, faxing, filing, etc.
- Worked my way through the slush pile and compiled reading reports for promising manuscripts.
Uncharted Sounds Magazine, Toronto, ON, May 2007 – Dec 2010
Senior Journalist and Editorial Assistant
- Music and entertainment journalism, responsible for producing multiple articles monthly.
- Performed high-quality interviews for print, video, and radio.
- Covered CMW, the CMA’s, and NXNE yearly
- Assisted in editing web content and with Marketing and brand development.
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
SCF Marketing (as part of TNI), Mississauga, ON, Jan 2013 – Apr 2013
Donor Acquisition Rep
- Raising funds for Sick Kids Hospital through direct marketing strategies
Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Sep 2011 – Apr 2012
- For Prof. C. Dawson “Introduction to Short Fiction” and Prof. M. Stone “Introduction to Poetry and Drama”
- Prepared for lectures in order to facilitate class discussion and prepared and presented lectures
- Helped choose course content and devise essay/exam topics, and Graded exams and papers.
- Helped students with course content comprehension and essay writing
York University, Toronto, ON, Sep 2009 – Dec 2010
Research Assistant (for the Artmob Digital Archive Project)
- Assisted Canada Research Chairs Rosemary Coomb and Christopher Innes on the Artmob Digital Archive Project.
- Website/Database Content Management
- Research and writing articles
- Digitizing old video footage and print literature and added digitized files to the archive